When you play Roulette, whether you’re playing at local casino or playing online Roulette, ‘Inside Bets’ are referred to as bets that are made on the inside numbers of the betting table. If you are making an inside bet it means you are placing bets on the actual numbers and not on the boxes that are located on the parameter – or outside the numbers, which are called ‘outside bets’ as explained below. Here are the names of ‘Inside Bets’ that you can make when you play roulette as well as the payout rates of each roulette bet:
- Straight Bet – The straight bet is also called the classic bet and it is simple, as you are just betting on one number. If you hit on that number you will be paid 35/1.
- Split Bet – The Split Bet is also called the 2 number bet, as you are betting on 2 numbers at the same time. If you hit on 1 of the 2 numbers you will be paid out 17/1.
- Street Bet – The Street Bet is also called the 3 number bet or simply Street and this is betting on a horizontal line of 3 numbers. If you hit on any of the numbers you are paid out 11/1.
- Square Bet – The Square Bet is also called the 4 number bet, as you bet on a block of 4 numbers. If you hit on any of the 4 numbers you will be paid out 8/1.
- 5-Number Bet – This bet is only available when you play Roulette on an American wheel and when you play online Roulette it is the same thing. This bet means you are betting on the 5 numbers of 0, 00, 1, 2 and 3 and if you hit you will be paid out 6/1. (you should be aware when you play Roulette the house edge is high on this bet, so it is not the best one for the player to make.
The outside betting area of the Roulette table has boxes located ‘outside’ of the roulette numbers and all roulette bets placed outside the number are referred to as ‘Outside Bets’. Online roulette tables are the same as your local casino, so all roulette games accept both inside bets and outside bets. Here are the outside bets you can make when you play roulette as well as the payout rates for each roulette bet:
- Red – In the Red bet you are betting that the ball will stop on a red number on the wheel and if it does you will be paid out 1/1.
- Black - In the Black bet you are betting that the ball will stop on a red number on the wheel and if it does you will be paid out 1/1.
- Odd – In the Odd bet you are betting that the ball will stop on an odd number on the wheel and if it does you will be paid out 1/1.
- Even - In the Red bet you are betting that the ball will stop on a even number on the wheel and if it does you will be paid out 1/1.
- High Bet – the numbers that comprise the High Bet are 19-36 and there is a box on the betting table that has those numbers. If you make the High Bet and the ball lands on any number from 19-36 you will be paid out 1/1.
- Low Bet – the Low Bet is just like the High Bet, but the numbers are 1-18 and there is also a box of those numbers on the betting table and if you hit it is 1/1.
- Dozen Bet – When you play Roulette and make the Dozen Bet you are betting on 12 numbers at the same time. Since there are 36 numbers there are 3 options of a Dozen Bet that you can make, which are 1-12, 13-24, and 25-36. If you hit on this bet you will be paid out 2/1.
- Column Bet – On a Roulette betting table there are 3 columns with 12 numbers each and the Column Bet is like the Dozen Bet, as you are betting that 1 of 12 numbers you bet on will hit and it it does you will be paid out 2/1.
As you may have noticed, Outside roulette bets are far easier to win than an Inside roulette bet, but the payout rates are also much lower. There are a wide variety of tips and strategies when it comes to making roulette bets, but a moderate approach is to make one Inside Bet for every Outside Bet. This approach blends a low risk wager with a moderate risk wager however, if you are interested in learning more advanced roulette strategies, we recommend that you visit our strategy section and practice with our free roulette game.